Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Can you believe?

Not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing - but, it's been almost a whole year since my last post.  That's a bad thing because I still have lots of journaling to record from preK 5 through 3rd grade.  But here's the good news - I've spent ALL year working with my mini-me....and it  has paid off tremendously.

Since I last posted, we've successfully completed the 3rd grade - ending the year with a 4.0 GPA.  Who does that?  More importantly, how does one do that?!   What I know for sure is that the countless hours invested in speech therapy, working with the special educator, finding and creating resources to support academic success - was worth every minute!!  I'm stunned by her success.  I'm stunned by her progress.  And to be on the honor roll all four quarters in the second and the third grade?!

Whatever they tell you...you just start finding the gifts and nurturing the gifts.  I am convinced that the balance created by affirming her strengths, working diligently to address the challenges, and mostly collaborating with school teachers have resulted in a child who is confident and successfully applying the skills she has to achieve her learning goals. 

Investing in your child is nothing like investing in the stock market.  You know that whatever you pour into your child will yield something - sometimes it's almost imperceptible and you need to closely to see it.  And then, there are times when the growth comes in spurts and it's like a firehose - you can't catch it all.  And then there is the slow, steady growth that bursts forth when you least expect....but it's visble to you and all those around you. 

Social skills: they're coming...went to camp and made a BFF.  Just think, three years ago when she started, she sat on the outskirts of the crowd.  This year, she was getting her own chair and pulling it right into the middle of the group to sit next to her friend.  Some things take time...it took nine months to bake the little cookie.  Didn't we wait patiently then? And even if you didn't wait patiently, there was little you could do to have the cookie pop out of the oven before it was ready.  Seems to be the same thing with these skills that are caught up in the developmental delay.  Delay simply means at a slower pace....not stalled....not missing...just at a slower pace.  But think of all the other things that she can do well beyond the years of her colleagues - her art work is crazy accurate, her singing is on pitch, her ballet skills are growing.  Find the gifts. Nurture the gifts.

There's lots to say as I look back on the last year...so, I'll spend some time, recording the challenges of those in-between years when I felt like I was pouring and looking for gifts and there seemed to be nothing coming back.  Everything that's coming back cannot be seen with the naked eye.

Being patient and persistent are my gift 2 my child.

No comments:

Post a Comment