Monday, September 12, 2011

Getting to Know You (and Me)

The new school year is always filled with excitement.  This year was no different but it was different.  I decided that we would both get ready for the new teacher.  Having enjoyed a wonderful summer - learning, fun, field trips, pool, pool and more pool, I created a way to ease the transition to the new grade.

For the normally developing child, sharing things about yourself perhaps come easy.  For us, it's sometimes a little more challenging.  She gets shy, withdrawn, and hesitant to speak.  Every new teacher wants to know something about the children in the class so I would I help her conquer that social challenge?


The creative juices are flowing and I decide to make a booklet.  What do I know about making booklets?  I've seen, used, bought (and returned) enough of them to know what IS NOT helpful. 

What an unanticipated success?  She enjoyed working on the booklet...she took it so seriously I was impressed.  She was thoughtful about what she wanted to say about herself.  You never know what's going on in those little heads - she too wanted to be ready for the new teacher.

Booklet completed, I prepared my own "meet my daughter" snapshot.  Again...who knew what a difference it would make.  I took it to school this morning and the teacher was glad to receive the information since she was not overly familiar with the child, obviously, or the needs.  What better way to know the child than to get an intro from the child herself?!

Do you remember how you felt when you started a new class?  Maybe you didn't have the kind of social skill challenges that some Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) children have.  Even as an adult, sometimes meeting a new person, is awkward.  A new teacher means a new beginning not just for the child, but also for the parent.

This year, the transition, for both of us was made easier simply by using the principle - getting to know you, and getting to know me.   Creating a smooth transition is always a gift to my child, to me, and to the teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment