Thursday, July 29, 2010

Original speech - less becomes more

We started speech therapy, part of the early intervention process, in 2006. An earlier post focused on me following the school bus as the 3 year old was taken to school. The more she participated in speech, the more fascinated I became with the whole concept of original speech. Just stop and think for a moment – you’ll discover that thoughts just pop into your head – some in words, some in pictures. Both are valid. If someone asked you to describe the pictures, you would first have to know what describe means. (I explain it as using your 5 senses to tell about something – what does it look like (see), does it make a noise (hear), etc. Your thoughts, put into words, generally tumble out in some form of original speech using language (which as we know from an earlier post includes content, form, and use).

As I listened to my daughter’s speech, I realized two things – (1) it was quite unintelligible (rate of speech and articulation) and (2) it was mostly snipets of movies or TV programs (non original speech). Much of what she produced I had to determine what movie, program or event it came from. Using that knowledge, I could either decipher quickly what she was saying or ask enough questions to determine the intended content/meaning. At first, the echolalia, repeating what someone says, was frustrating. Once I understood that it was part of the speech glitch, I had to be creative. I recommend that you find a good speech therapist.  They have wonderfully creative techniques for pairing language with movement and building speech skills.

I remember one time we simply stood in a circle and greeted each other as we tossed a ball. You know that exchange when you greet someone with “Hello….”.   You say their name and then they say your name. You have to understand Using a ball, we simply tossed the ball and used the language at the same time. Don’t ask me how it works (ask your speech therapist) but she eventually understood the sequence and what needed to be said. Fast forward now about 4 years. At Christmas, I asked what she wanted for dinner and she replied “I haven’t decided yet”. Now, it’s true that she could have heard this in a movie or TV program. However, I could tell the difference by the intonation. Echolalia came with the flat tone. Original speech, in our case, had the right intonation that communicated her meaning and intent. She was present in the communication.  It was not a repetition of something she had heard and was dropping into a conversation. This was original speech.

As you listen to yourself or your child speak, see if you can detect the differences between record playback (automatic speech) and the fluid, easy going tone of original speech. I learned to listen to my daughter’s speech so that I can check if she is simply repeating something or producing her own original speech. As her skills develop, conversations are sprinkled with her own thoughts "Well, I want to do _____ because it makes me feel happy". Or, you get the funny ones where she doesn’t have the words to really explain what she means so she uses words she knows, they are incorrect, but that’s a really good sign that what she’s producing is original speech. It may be grammatically incorrect and have odd words, but it is original.

Today, almost five years into therapy, I hear with joy more original speech.  At camp drop off yesterday she said,  "Don't you have to go to work?"  Yippee!!!  Yes, occasionally I still hear snippets of movies and TV programs.  It's part of the condition.  They are able to recall details like a movie reel.  We still have to practice how some exchanges should go for example when someone is mean to you; when you are frustrated.  Hopefully with time, those coping skills and language to support coping will come, if not naturally, a little more easily.  For today, I enjoy hearing "Mom, shhh, you're too loud.  I can't hear the TV."

That's original speech and less has finally become more.

No comments:

Post a Comment