Monday, August 31, 2009

Follow that bus!!!

It’s one thing to seek information, it’s a whole different thing to follow it confidently. 

The recommendation was speech therapy twice per week. The ease with which the professionals tell you how it all works and you take it in understanding it and confident in the moment. When the time comes for action though, that’s a whole different ball game.

The Early Childhood Center was in the area so things being divinely ordered - as they often are - the bus would come and pick her up at daycare and bring her back. Again, sounds great in the moment but it's a completely different story when the bus arrives!!
 
Imagine being three years old and having to leave the security of your child care provider who you’ve been with since you were 3 months old. You have no idea where you're being taken,, but it sure looks like everyone is in on it. The caregiver puts on your coat and hat and shuffles you outside to a big yellow bus talking reassuringly all the while. Unfortunately, you don't understand what's happening. Can you imagine the fear? And, because you have a speech delay, even though they're telling you where you’re going, it doesn’t mean a thing. That’s her side of the experience. Mine is a little different.

In my head, I understand that therapy should or could help. I certainly appreciate that my tax dollars make it possible for the bus to pick her up and bring her back. I appreciate that I don’t have to pay anything out of pocket for this vital service. But, you want me to put my 3 year old on a bus with people I don’t know.

Are you CRAZY?! You don’t know how crazy a concerned parent can be. Yes, I followed that bus.

I watched in the parking lot as she was loaded on to the bus…crying and confused. I followed the bus to the school and made sure she got off safely. I don’t remember now what I did for the duration of the therapy session but I do know I followed that bus back to the day care provider. We survived. 

Over time, the bus ride became easier for her and for me. That was until the therapist called one day and said “your daughter missed the bus”. Is you crazy?! How is a three-year old going to miss dah bus?! Ain’t that your responsibility to get her on and off the correct bus?! Ay! She quickly reassured me that my child was with her and they were awaiting the return of the bus. For all of the failings and complaints people have about the school system, my introduction to the services was pleasant and manageable - well except for the part where the 3-year old missed the bus.

All in all, those first months after the diagnosis were not so bad. There were moments of discovery - opportunities to learn about local and state systems that could provide support. Situations that supported what I already knew about the diagnosis, my child, myself. And certainly, opportunities to follow the bus to ensure we were headed in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment