Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Where does music come from?

At 14 months my daughter attended a choir rehearsal with her Auntie. Auntie’s choir uses sheet music while they sing. I sang along and my daughter looked at the sheet music (it’s what everyone else was doing so why not?) Hours later, at home, I found her sitting on the bed putting the sheet music to her ear. Where does the music come from?  Eventually, she realized that there was no sound coming from the sheet music and so she began to sing the alphabet song.

Discovery – they really have to make sense of EVERYTHING!!!

I struggle with making sense of the formulae in physics and math. In the same way that I am challenged by the principles of these subjects, they have to understand the principles of the universe. The more we expose them to, the more data points they have to make sense of the world. We are each gifted by the Creator – the package arrives with 10 fingers, 10 toes, and it squeals and squirms. We are delighted by the cooing noises, the smiles, and the attempts to wave goodbye. What we often forget is that the slate is clean and our responsibility is to make deposits into the cognitive bank.

Acceptance – banging on the furniture, the toy drum set and musical instruments are critical to brain development. These first steps in music teach them things about sound that we cannot readily explain with words to an infant or a language-challenged child.

There’s lots of research about music and brain development. When she was born, I remember receiving a CD from Enfamil (the baby formula company). I listened to it and played the music portions for her. Then, I decided to get others.

Discovery – there are things about the brain that we are yet to unlock. The power of music has been unlocked for us.

For those of us who sing, we know the inner joy that comes not just from the instrument of the voice but the sheer power of listening to the accompanist, the orchestra, the musical interlude. Easter of 2004 or 2005, the choir at church did excerpts from a special presentation that they had done on Good Friday. That was my first opportunity in months to actually sing with a choir. The choir director, a music instructor at a university in Delaware, encouraged me to participate and graciously tolerated the challenge of my parenting while singing.

Affirmation – it takes ALL aspects of the village to support, sustain, and nurture not just the child but also the parents. I thoroughly enjoyed the rehearsals - that was time for me to replenish my spirit. It also gave my daughter more exposure to choral music and orchestra instruments. Her godmother took her to visit the Easter bunny during the final rehearsal. I was able to let my spirit soar as I sang songs of the Passion and I KNEW that my Redeemer indeed lived. HE had bled and died so that I could endure this life’s journey.

Finally, on Good Friday, I listened to the 7 last words from the cross and participated fully as the choir rendered its musical items between each message. As my daughter watched from the balcony of the church, sitting with her godmother, I knew where music came from!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment